The Desert spear does something a think a lot of books wish they could do but without having 5+ books in a series just don’t have the real estate to accomplish. We get a look into the back story of the villain of book one to find out his motives. This book makes us do a real “Walk a mile in their shoes” approach in that the world isn’t just black and white but there’s a lot of grey. We find out why Jardir betrayed Arlen and in his own mind he thought he was doing the right thing.
Review – Definite Spoilers:
1. Concept: 10 Demons are walking the earth every night and people have been helpless to do anything about it until now. It’s a great hook and I can’t wait to see where it goes from here.
2. Writing: 10 Peter goes into excruciatingly great detail about all of the customs and rituals that the Krasians follow. He gives us a lot of new words and titles, but makes sure to spell them out a long the way. There is also a Krasian dictionary at the back that I referenced a few times to get me through.
3. How long did it take to get into the book: 5 This book isn’t what I was expecting at all. I wanted to see what Arlen, Rojer and Leesha were going to do next as they were reunited, but once I started to get into what made Jardir tick it made it all worth it. I had to reexamine my entire thoughts on Jardir under the new light of his back story.
4. Character Development: 8 I don’t quite understand why Arlen was so hesitant to meet his dad. I know that he thought his dad was a coward, but to not even speak to him was bizarre. I don’t get Innevra. I really hope to find out more about her going forward.
5. Plot: 9 Everything is coming to a head and it’s only book two! The Krasian forces are making quick work of everything they come across. The Demons are sending princes and are obviously ramping up to try to take over everything. Arlen is becoming more and more powerful. This book has it all!
6. Pacing: 7 I wasn’t thrilled to have spent so much time on Jardir’s back story, but I’m glad I did. Getting to know so much about him really helped answer a lot of questions left over from book one and will help moving forward. Likewise we spent a lot of time on Renna’s truly devastating story. It didn’t move quite as fast as I would have liked, but I’m guessing that she will become a major player moving forward.
7. Ending: 10 Peter did it again! The fights with the demon princes was some of the best reading I’ve done in a while.
8. Cover Art: 8 Pretty awesome book cover. Gives us a look at what the Krasians look like as well as The Spear of Kaji.
9. World Building: 8 We get a look deep inside Krasia and all of its rituals and customs. Peter just keeps on building more and more for us to dive into.
10. Would I read other books by the Author: 10 Peter is an amazing author and I can’t wait to get a deeper look through the peephole in his skull.
Is Arlen turning into a demon? He is getting more and more of their powers. Will he start to lose control?
What is Innevra up to?
How do the dice work?
Can there be more than one Deliverer?
Is Leesha really considering marrying Jardir? I think she needs to have more fun in her life, but this seems to be a little extreme!
What else does the Core have in store for us?
What is Rojer going to do?